Associate in Agriculture
Building “optimised ventures” in restorative cultivation, with a focus on Business Development and Portfolio Management
Full time, starting asap, remotely (at least initially)
About the role
As we are rapidly expanding venture building across sectors, we’re looking for a team of sector-specific Associates to join us and support the growth of the Agriculture sector at DSV.
The role is very dynamic, juggling multiple portfolios of work at the same time offering exposure to all main business activities including scoping venture creation opportunities, identifying and bringing together founder-type technical talent, sourcing business development leads and working across our portfolio of startups (see below).
Working together in close partnership with the Associate Director, the Associate will be initially responsible for Business Development and Portfolio Management for the sector while learning and building confidence in Scoping and Recruitment functions with the aim of transitioning into the AD role.
● Sourcing and building relationships with BD leads, championing the work of both DSV and our portfolio companies in the sector (including building relevant BD collateral, proposals etc.); and
● Working closely with our current Founders and portfolio companies in agriculture to support them with commercial strategy, fundraising, strategic partnerships and other on tap support.
Current Founders & Portfolio co’s in Agriculture
Founders and ventures you’ll be supporting
Toby: background in Plant Biology, working on breeding and optimising new crop varieties for indoor growing. The indoor growing platform will allow us to change the architectures of crops in a way only previously achieved by Norman Borlaug to generate the green revolution.
Daniel: background in Agriculture and Biotechnology, working on unexploited opportunities to domesticate new insect species, restore degrading pollinator habitat, and investigate sensible ways to improve the resilience of our current managed pollinator species.
Thomas: co-founded Beta Bugs at DSV – a biotech startup focused on building a world leader in insect genetics. They’ve successfully secured multiple grants and private investment, and are working with The Roslin Institute, world leader in animal genetics, to develop a cutting edge breeding programme.
The role requires sufficient breadth and depth of insight across agri-related fields both in terms of the science and industry dynamics. Background in a science related field is a must, having demonstrated practical, hands on research or product development work. Most recent focus, however, should be on commercially orientated functions/projects demonstrating aptitude for client facing work and ability to build and manage relationships, build a strong network.
Key required attributes:
● Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to lead conversations across both technical and commercial domains;
● Demonstrated interest in innovation, advancing new concepts and ideas – enjoys highly creative work environment;
● Technical depth acquired through a PhD/Research/Fellow or product development type of roles or responsibilities;
● Broad interests and views across different agri areas with intimate knowledge of industry-specific macro and micro dynamics;
● Understanding of the early-stage commercialisation process acquired through previous exposure to the startup/VC/CVC/TTO etc. environment;
● Network-driven, enjoys supporting and guiding others through collaborative teamwork.
We work across sectors from oncology to energy storage across the stack from cutting edge technology to fortune 100 partnerships (some have not been announced yet) and have built nearly 30 companies over the last three years.
You’ll be part of a small adventurous exec team though with huge growth ambitions, driven by the desire to make a massive positive impact on the world.
We offer an equity stake in the company along with a base salary.