Associate: Leading New Opportunity Discovery in Agriculture
Building ventures in restorative cultivation and aligning agriculture with biodiversity.
Full time, starting asap, remote or London-based.
About Deep Science Ventures
Deep Science Ventures (DSV) is a venture creator, combining available scientific knowledge and founder-type scientists into high-impact ventures, to build a future where both humans and the planet thrive.
DSV operates in 4 sectors: Agriculture, Computation, Energy and Pharmaceuticals, tackling the challenges defining those areas by taking a first-principles approach and partnering with leading institutions.
In the agri team we’re focusing on challenges which threaten both food security and the long-term use of the biological resources that sustain agricultural businesses. We’re designing and investing in a portfolio of science-driven, scalable ag-tech startups to deliver innovative technologies to profitably tackle food security and biodiversity issues.
You can read more about our agriculture thesis here.
About the role
As an Associate you will work in close partnership with the Associate Director for Agriculture, our current or future agri sector Founders and other Associates, focusing on systemic analysis or “scoping”, as we call it, of opportunity areas (OAs) for new venture development, identifying the sort of technologies and ventures that should exist but don’t.
While your main focus will be on opportunity analysis, you’ll be involved across all core functions of venture development, including recruitment and team building, business development, fundraising and portfolio management to quickly develop a broad understanding of the scope of all activities within the business.
● Research and identify new OAs for building ventures that tackle climate change and align agriculture with biodiversity;
● Recruit a team of multidisciplinary founder-type scientists and work together on venture creation;
● Drive the venture creation process from idea generation to pre-seed and seed investments;
● Support fundraising and business development efforts for the sector.
● Deep technical understanding in biology and biological production systems, particularly microbiology (e.g. soil microbiology or ocean microbiology);
● You’ll likely have done a PhD in any of (or similar): microbiology, ecology, biological engineering;
● Demonstrated interest in applied science and early stage commercialisation is a plus, ideally with <2 years experience working in startups/VC and/or Analyst type roles or in product development;
● Demonstrated level of achievement, taking own initiative and delivering outcome-oriented projects from start to finish. You make things happen.
A mix of DSV core team and our Founders at the Climate-focused social we organised in December 2021.