Associate Director for Computation
Building “optimised ventures” to accelerate the next generation computation.
Full time, London (Monument), starting asap
We’re looking to lead the development of a range of new paradigms in computation, data and connectivity that otherwise won’t emerge any time soon from existing paths. You will be defining where we should build but as a starting point we are particularly interested in:
● Scalable (low-error) quantum computation
● Leverage quantum computing in scientific computing and machine learning
● Neuromorphic computing in machine learning and moving beyond backpropagation
● Data storage from L1 cache to long term
● In memory computation
● Automation with one shot learning and shared learning
● Seamless remote presence
● Human intelligence augmentation
● Systems that programme themselves / “no code” / seamless updates
● Reducing barriers in hardware design and fab (cost, complexity, standards etc. )
● Ultra-high bandwidth and low latency data communication
● Data centre optimisation, particularly around power and task specific acceleration
● Security and trust
● Number and quality of ventures launched per year (we aim for at least six)
● Number and quality of partnerships and funding brought to those ventures
Who we’re after
The role requires sufficient breadth and depth of insight across the fields bullet pointed above or related fields both in terms of the science and industry dynamics. The ideal person is probably a mix of an academic background, consultancy or start-up experience (founding or early team), a major industry player and perhaps toe in the investment environment, maybe running due diligence or advising several deep computational companies. More than anything we’re looking for you to bring a vision of how you would drive the development of the sector, the current constraints and how to overcome them, an eye for opportunity and the founder type mindset to bring together the right people to make it happen.
Ideally you’ll have:
● Background in computation and/or adjacent fields and demonstrated experience working with and progressing projects in complex technical subjects
● Experience of working in a startup environment with focus on commercial outcomes
● Industry insight having worked with one of more of the leading companies in the field or spent time analysing/evaluating the sector
What you’ll get
You will be responsible for everything from deciding which opportunity areas we pursue and which partners we bring on board, to selecting founders and directing ventures based on your vision for what the sector should look like in 5-10 years. You will also have the opportunity to work with mature seed stage companies that are already in our portfolio.
As with other sectors we are already building out key partnerships that provide testbeds, rapid prototyping, specific investment and growth experience and academic partners, whilst carefully avoiding getting caught up in the status quo.
You’ll be part of an adventurous team that does not compromise on their mission to scale the impact of science + base salary, equity and business development incentives, reporting directly to DSV’s Founding Directors. All Associate Directors are intended to become full Directors at DSV, and we will support your personal development accordingly.
For further info and to discuss the role, email Santa Astratova via firstname.lastname@example.org